Matthew Sitman, associate editor of Commonweal Magazine, hangs out with Matt and Dean this week to talk about his article “Against Moral Austerity: On the Need for a Christian Left” in Dissent Magazine. Do the Democrats have a moral problem? Find out!
- Separating the wheat (left) from the chaff (liberalism).
- How has the Democratic Party failed to make a morally robust argument?
- Whose morals?
- Coalitions are hard and frustrating but also important.
- Religions don’t give you a prepackaged political opinion.
- Religious people are complex!
- Pretty sure this is the first actual if brief discussion of Bernie Sanders on the podcast.
- Dean reads from the holy Book of Engels.
- Private property. It’s bad.
- What do religious movements offer the left?
- The affective force of moral appeals.
- Where’s the religious left today?
Also, we reveal our new phone number–(815) 408-0745–where you can leave us voicemails! And there’s a new TinyLetter out today!